The more recent city wall still has some parts remaining.Worcester was one of the cities loyal to the King in the
Battle of Worcester, hence given the epithet "Fidelis Civitas"
("The Faithful City"). This slogan has been integrated into the coat
of arms for Worcester.
In 1670, the River Severn broke its banks and the subsequent
flood was the worst ever seen by Worcester. The next closest flood height was
when the Severn flooded in July 2007.
Worcester was the home of Royal Worcester Porcelain and the
Royal Worcester Porcelain Company factory was created by Dr John Wall in 1751.
The Museum remains open and a few decorators still work at the factory.
During the late eighteenth and early nineteenth centuries,
Worcester was a major centre for glove making, employing nearly half the glove
makers in England at its peak (over 30,000 people). The opening of the
Worcester and Birmingham canal in 1815 allowed the products to be distributed
to a larger area.
Worcester was selected to be the home of the evacuated
government during World War II should there have been mass German invasion.
Midland Road factory
in Worcester has been home to Lea and Perrins Worcestershire sauce since 1897,
one of the county's leading products. Mr Perrins and Mr Lea first met in a
chemist's shop in the Crowngate Shopping Centre, now the location of the
The city's astonishing foundry heritage is symbolised by
Morganite Crucible at Norton which assembles graphitic shaped products and
cements for application in the present industry.
Worcester is the home of what is claimed to be the oldest
newspaper in the world, Berrow's Worcester Journal, which traces its descent
from a news-sheet that started publication in 1690. The University of Worcester is based in the city - one of the UK's fastest growing universities.
Crowngate Shopping Centre, Cathedral Plaza and Reindeer
Court make up the three covered shopping centres in Worcester. The Shrub Hill
Retail Park, Blackpole Retail Park and the Elgar Retail Park all are situated
A distinguished landmark in Worcester is its Cathedral the build
of which commenced in 1084 while its crypt dates from the tenth century. The
only circular house in the country is the chapter house while the Cathedral
also has the feature of having the tomb of King John.
There are three main parks in Worcester Cripplegate Park,
Gheluvelt Park and Fort Royal Park, with Fort Royal Park situated on an English
Civil War battle site. The Worcestershire Regiment's 2nd Battalion was
commemorated by the opening of Gheluvelt Park after their part in World War I
in the Battle of Gheluvelt.
Nunnery Wood at 21 hectares and Perry Wood measuring 12
hectares make up Worcester's two large woodland areas. An important part
of the popular Worcester Woods County
Park is Nunnery Woods, itself next door to County Hall on the east side of the
The city’s two railway stations are at located Shrub Hill
and Foregate Street. Every three years Worcester hosts the Three Choirs
Festival, which dates from the eighteenth century and is attributed with being
the oldest music festival in Europe. The location of the festival rotates each
year between the Cathedral Cities of the Three Counties, Worcester, Gloucester
and Hereford. Famous for its championing of English music, especially that of
Gustav Holst, Elgar and Vaughan Williams, the festival was last hosted by
Worcester in 2011.
The Worcester Festival is a relatively new venture
established in 2003 and consists of a variety of music, theatre, cinema and
workshops. The Worcester Music Festival takes place over a weekend each year
and is free to attend. The festival contains over 230 different acts performing
in bars and clubs across the city. The Victorian-themed Christmas Fayre is a
major source of tourism.
From the 17th August the twelfth CAMRA Worcester Beer and
Cider festival takes place for three days. The West Midlands biggest Beer,
Cider and Perry festival occurs in Worcester. A great place to go for a drink!
The Swan Theatre in Worcester stages a blend of professional
touring and local amateur productions. The Countess of Huntingdon's Hall is a
historic church now used as venue for an eclectic range of musical
performances, while the Marrs Bar is a venue for gigs and stand-up comedy. In
the northern suburb of Northwick is the Art Deco Northwick Cinema. Built in
1938 it contains one of the only two remaining interiors in Britain designed by
Kleve the German city and the Parisian commune of Le Visinet
are twinned with Worcester as its bigger American namesake Worcester,
Also on a musical note the father of the composer Sir Edward
Elgar managed a music shop at the end of the High Street; a statue of Elgar
stands near the original location of that shop. His birthplace is a short way
outside Worcester in the village of Broadheath.